10 November, 2008

Distractions of a cosmopolitan kind...


I thought I would have posted a bit earlier than this, but I must admit that I have been a bit distracted of late. You see, I bought myself the "Sex and the City" box set and movie with money I got for my birthday so I have been kind of sex-and-the-city-ing-myself-to-pieces.... I have finished all 6 seasons and am waiting for a good time to watch the movie - ie when the significant other isn't here to make boy comments about it.


But! I am making progress on my costumes for our end of year concert and after 2 fittings of drafts I have finished my Tinker Bell costume (apart from attatching the elastic straps) and am now working on the wings! The costume is very cute and hopefully I haven't made it too short. The wings I think will be okay, but I won't completely finish them as I need to get an okay from the studio principal (otherwise known as my boss). We are having some issues with getting the costumes to show up under a blue light so I have done 2 different things on 2 different wings to see which she likes best. I am still not 100% sure how I will attach them either. I am sure I will think of something.

Also, 2 fittings later and I am now up to sewing the seams on the Pan costume fully - so far they have only been tacked together - and decorating. Lots and lots and lots of fabric leave later and several 'slashes' and patches later. Still have to find a decent belt so I may take a little trip to the op shop tomorrow to see what they have. So far I am really quite happy with how it is turning out. Will be doing all the seams, elastic and filler mesh on this tomorrow. Possibly more leaves as well - I have to machine sew the leaf veins on the make them look good. I also have an issue with blue light on the this costume as well so I will need to incorporate some white on it somewhere... this needs more thought.

Hook on the other hand has proved to be a little more difficult. The unitard is really no problem and I am hoping to tackle that tomorrow. The coat? Ahhh yes the coat. I did a dummy out of a sheet and decided to alter the pattern. I cut the fabric and sewed it roughly with only one sleeve in and it was just wrong. Needless to say I was a little disappointed in myself. So I went back to the fabric store bought more fabric and I am going to make another jacket with no changes to the pattern. Hopefully it will be okay and will only need some shoulder pads in it to make it sit right. The original fabric I bought was a stretch sateen and was no longer on special so I got a different fabric as I figured the amoung to stretch that it had wasn't really going to do much anyway. On the positive side though, I put in a contrasting godet out of a gold and cream brocade and my boss thought that looked great so I will do that on the new coat. I am also thinking of making the cuffs not quite as big as they are in the pattern. I ordered some stretch vinyl today as the boot tops we got from the fancy dress shop would have required a lot of altering and it would be just as easy to make a new pair. I need to investigate this as well and will probably end up asking a fellow sewer at the ballet school.

Photos to come when I take some, and have some bodies to put in the costumes!!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails