10 January, 2010

What did today's adventures yield?

This Metalicus-Inspired cream knit dress!



I would have liked to make the skirt out of some sort of circle - half circle, 3/4 circle, full circle would have probably been too full - but I didn't have the fabric to allow for it. So I got the a-line skirt that was slightly gathered at the top. The hem is finished with a narrow overlock stitch.

I didn't have the wonder fabric that Metalicus use for their clothing so I had to make do with this knit that I found in my stash. As I wasn't sure if this dress was going to be wearable, I didn't want to expend money on buying fabric.

The bodice has princess seams, and a seam down the centre front - again cause I didn't have enough fabric to cut that centre panel out on the fold. As it is the top is lined with white cotton lycra instead of a double layer of the knit fabric. There is also a gentle gather in the front.

So yeah, not the most in-your-face of fancy-type dresses, but I already have a few of those in the old cupboard that only get trotted out every now and then. This dress, well it's a bash around the house and then dress it up to go out dress! Perfect!

This is the 'before styling' photo.




As you can see, quite the blank canvas.

All in all, while it's not the prettiest of dresses, it is functional, cool to wear (temperature wise) and comfortable. Dressed up, it is moderate on the stylish meter I guess. For no money expended (Fabric that has been in my stash for so long I can't remember when I bought it is considered free) it is a pretty good result.


1 comment:

EmilyKate said...

I think it's VERY pretty! Perfect summer dress.

I've wanted to make stuff like what I've seen at Metalicus too, but it is hard to find that fabric. I know that they knit it in tubes and its very similar to stockings, and its made of nylon, like stockings are. I did see some in a shop recently that buys designer offcuts, but the colours were khaki and beige- not a good look for me, so I didn't get it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

My photo
Gloucester, NSW, Australia
I'm a 30 year old Aussie who likes to sew, read and who loves her job as a dance teacher. I have a bit of a thing for vintage and would love to find more things when I get the chance to go 'thrifting'! I am interested in fashion and design (both fashion and interior) so if you have a fashion/sewing/design blog drop me a line to check it out!

A shop for all things Lovely